- The Department was established in the year 1957, along with the establishment of college
- Department was approved by AICTE, NAAC..etc
- The faculty strength of the department is eight. All the staff members are having PhD
- Department is a approved research centre for doing PhD under various universities
- The Department supports the college by handling classes on engineering chemistry for first semester students, environmental sciences for various semester students
- Various interdepartmental researches is being carried out in the department- many other department BE students are doing their projects in the chemistry department
- The department is well established in carrying out various consultancies and testing works. The department also supports many industries.
- The department holds the prestigious first patent for the college. The patent is for the “PLASTIC TAR ROAD”. The department also registered a patent on the use of plastics in developing alternate fuels.
- The department has also established three different laboratories namely 1. Polymer/plastic tar road research lab. 2. Alternate fuel lab. 3. Material research lab.
- The major research groups works on the following areas
- Water – Waste water – Environmental studies
- Plastics – Waste plastics – Road construction studies
- Synthesis and Applications of Complexes
- Electrochemical application – Corrosion studies
- Electrochemical Energy studies
- Solar Energy Harvesting studies
- Molecular Modeling and Simulation studies
- Alternate Fuel research
To be a centre of excellence in education and research in the field of chemistry and other related interdisciplinary sciences with social values
The department of chemistry strives
- To promote an advancement of applied science and technology particularly in chemistry and explore the knowledge for multidisciplinary opportunities
- To provide quality education, research and service missions that produce technically competent, socially committed technocrats and scientists
- To address the societal, industrial needs by innovative and collaborative research