The Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in the year 1957, with an undergraduate program in Mechanical Engineering. Masters degree program in Industrial Engineering and Masters degree program in Manufacturing Engineering were started during the years 1986, 1997 respectively. The National Board of Accreditation accredited B.E – Mechanical Engineering program for five years period in the years 1998, 2006 and 2012, M.E - Industrial Engineering program for 2 years period in the year 2016. The Department is offering collaborative program in B.E – Mechanical Engineering with leading two wheeler Manufacturer TVS Motors. The Department of Mechanical Engineering has an approved Research centre for Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering under Anna University, Chennai. The Department is also offering full time Ph.D. under Quality Improvement Program (QIP) of AICTE, for faculty members of various Engineering Colleges and Engineers working in Government Organizations across the country. The department boasts of well-qualified and committed faculty ably supported by the technical staff.
The students have access to State of the art facilities in the area of Rapid Prototyping, Reverse Engineering, CNC Machining, CAD, CAM, Robotics, Machine Vision, Nano Technology, Automotive Engineering, CFD and Industrial Engineering which enables them to face the challenging needs of the Industries, Research Institutions and the modern Society. Students are encouraged to actively take part in National and International contests like SAE-BAJA, VALEO, etc. The annual intake for B.E - Mechanical Engineering is 120 students, M.E - Industrial Engineering is 18 students and M.E - Manufacturing Engineering is 25 students.
- Be a globally renowned school of engineering in mechanical sciences
As a department, we are committed to
- Develop ethical and competent engineers by synergizing world class teaching, learning and research
- Establish state-of-art laboratories and to provide consultancy services to fulfill the expectations of industry and needs of the society
- Inculcate entrepreneurial qualities for creating, developing and managing global engineering ventures
- Motivate the students to pursue higher studies and research